Friday, November 16, 2007

proving that i occasionally pay attention to current events

So, how about that writer's strike?

I'm not personally affected, because I don't watch television. And I haven't been to a movie in forever. And when I say "forever" I mean that I never stepped into a Bloomington theater while I was at IU, so it's been at least two years if not longer. And that's still not as long as I've been without television (five years maybe?).

Anyway.

On the rare occasions when I do watch a TV show, it's either on DVD or online *coughthedailyshow.comcough*. Oddly enough, these happen to be the two issues over which the WGA is striking. So, I'm keeping half an eye on the proceedings. Morbid curiosity is another reason. There won't be any new tapings of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report until it's all over, which is only offset by the schadenfreude-y goodness of hearing the TV-viewing public's screams of anguish at the possibility of a season dominated by reality shows. They might even have to turn the television off and read a book. (Click on that link at your own peril, by the way. You have been warned.)

Unless I either win a job in Seattle or overseas, I will probably have to join a union for my chosen profession. I don't foresee anything like this happening with the AFM, but they have voiced their official opinion on the whole situation. Besides, it's not every day that you see a major union on the picket line. Since I only have a vague idea of how a union works anyway, it's educational as well.

If anyone else is mildly curious, various writers have set up a few blogs. They get a little long-winded at times, but that's to be expected. (I can't find one representing the AMPTP's side, presumably because network executives wouldn't be caught dead blogging, but these links might count for something.)

Oh, and for those of us in Daily Show/Colbert withdrawal, apparently the writers have been having a bit of fun onYoutube. It's no Jon Stewart (oh, the delivery), but it might get you through the day.

In other news, there is the slightest possibility that I spend way too much time on the Internet.

No comments: