Monday, January 26, 2009

as if my insanity needed more documentation

Damn. I was doing so well with the updates, and then I disappeared. I guess it was too much to hope for.

So, I recently performed Brahms 3. The performance was okay... Brahms 3 is probably the least stressful of the Brahms symphonies for the trombone section, but it is some awfully nice music regardless. I do love the way that Brahms wrote for the trombone, even if I'm not always capable of executing it properly.

Now, I know this orchestra has a limited budget, and probably can't afford the best editions. That being said, I really wasn't expecting to get a first trombone part transposed into bass clef. Maybe they thought they were doing me a favor, since I know some people don't like reading alto clef.1

So what did I do? I brought a personal copy of my own and read the part in alto clef, of course. Yes, I suppose I did make it harder on myself. Theoretically a trombonist should be equally adept at all three clefs, but in my experience this is rarely the case.2

Why, you ask? I'm still thinking about it myself. Maybe it's because I thought I needed to do more reading in alto clef.3 Maybe I was acknowledging that most orchestras don't do this, and that I wouldn't be doing myself any favors if I took the supposedly easy way out this time. Maybe I just like to make a martyr of myself, even when no one else knows I'm doing it. I think if someone had noticed, however, it would have been less martyrdom and more, "Why would you do that? Are you a masochist?"4

I don't know. I just... couldn't bring myself to play a Brahms symphony in bass clef. It felt wrong. Yes, the notes are the same, but for some reason I had this idea that it would sound different somehow.

How? I have no idea. Am I actually suggesting that the different clefs sound different in my head in some way? Could be... my head is a pretty strange place. It makes no sense, but that didn't stop me from reading in a less comfortable clef when I didn't have to.5

Does anyone else ever get that? The idea that changing the way the music is notated will change the way you play it? Or am I the only crazy one?

Yeah, I thought so. Can I get that straitjacket in black? I think it'll really kick out nicely against those white padded walls.







  1. I don't always like it either, but come on, it's part of the job.[]

  2. My personal exception to this? I have a mental block when it comes to playing alto trombone in any clef other than alto clef. I don't know either.[]

  3. Oh, do I.[]

  4. The short answer? Yes, yes I am. The long answer? Pretty much this entire blog to date.[]

  5. Interesting side note... my biggest problem while reading Brahms 3? I kept overshooting notes. It was weird.[]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a hornist, I have to say I understand not being abl-- willing to play a Brahms symphony in the modern clef. That would be like reading transposed parts (e.g., from the original keys into F). Sometimes I've had to do it because an orchestra sometimes only orders tranposed parts, but it sure feels weird.